Wed, Nov 17|
Christian Conversations: Rachel Held-Evans - Origin stories (Part 1)
Time & Location
Nov 17, 2021, 1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Edmonton, 8510 95 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6C 1Y7, Canada
About the event
Topic: The Origin Stories
- Invitation to share our faith origin stories
- Hagar and Ishmael (Genesis 15:1 – 18:15 and 20:1 – 21:20)
- We’ll learn and discuss this story, considering the contextual pieces and the interpretation offered by Rachel Held Evans, and perhaps others.
Please observe the following Safety Protocols:
- Maximum 10 participants
- Pre-register by emailing Ruth at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meeting time will be limited to 75 minutes (maximum)
- Mask, covering nose and mouth, must be worn while in the church building
- Enter and exit building only via the door closest to the church office/Upper Room
- Participants will be signed in (for contact tracing)
- Family room will be set up to accommodate appropriate physical distancing
- Participants will be responsible for sanitizing their table/space prior to leaving
Any additional information/reading needed for a given session will be provided following registration.
Questions before we meet?
Contact Ruth at 780-435-6535, or email@example.com
For some time now, Rev. Sandy has been introducing us - through our worship services - to a number of inspiring, often thought-provoking quotes by Rachel Held Evans.
Rachel Held Evans (June 8, 1981 – May 4, 2019) was an American Christian columnist, blogger and author. Born, raised and educated as an Evangelical Christian in the American south, Rachel journeyed from religious certainty, through doubt in the Bible as she had known it. Departing from and returning to her faith many times over, she discovered an historical-critical method of biblical interpretation.
Though neither a theologian, historian, nor scientist, she drew on the best of recent scholarship as she “wrestled with the process of doubting, imagining and debating Scripture’s mysteries”.
Over the next number of months, you’re invited to join our Christian Conversations, as we consider, discuss and perhaps continue the work of Rachel Held Evans. Using, as a guide, her book entitled, “Inspired (Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again)”, our discussions may include topics such as Origin Stories, Deliverance Stories, War Stories, Wisdom Stories, Resistance Stories, Gospel Stories, Fish Stories and Church Stories.
Sandy will be able to offer the historical context of these stories, as well as interpretations from other theologians.