Tue, Jan 31|
Christian Conversations: Paul's Letters
Lecture will be posted Jan 24, in-person discussion Jan 31
Time & Location
Jan 31, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Edmonton, 8510 95 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6C 1Y7, Canada
About the event
Paul’s letters have become a source of mainstream theology of the Protestant church. This lecture will consider Paul, as found in his letters, in comparison to Paul in the Book of Acts. Once again, context will be critical, as the lecture will address the audience for whom Paul wrote, and the challenges faced by today’s mainstream churches when engaging with Paul’s words. Sandy will also compare/contrast the teachings of Jesus and Paul. Finally, this lecture will address those of the Pauline letters that are viewed to be authentic, versus attributed to Paul, and the relevance of authenticity.
Tuesday January 24th, 2023 – Lecture will be available on Strathearn’s YouTube page.
You are then invited to participate in an in-person, follow-up discussion.
Date: Tuesday, January 31st, 2023
Time: 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Location: Strathearn United Church – Upper Room
Topic: Paul's Letters
Points for discussion may include:
- How and why did Paul take Christianity in a different direction than Jesus’ teachings?
- How can we engage with Paul, considering those aspects of his character that are distasteful to us, (e.g., homophobic, misogynistic)?
- How do Paul’s letters offer a positive influence?
- Do those letters matter that are not considered authentically written by Paul?
- Are there tools to determine what is relevant and in the appropriate time/context?
ALL ARE WELCOME!